4/19/09

Writing poetry

My father loved poetry. He was able to recite very lengthy poems. When I was really young, I wrote poems. Often inspired by nature.....either sitting in the woods surrounding my home or at the ocean. It seems so difficult now as an adult to find inspiration. I never seem to have the time to just sit outside or in some calm setting and try to write a poem anymore.
I like this picture. Obviously because it's a nature setting. But, I also love how the details are set in the color blue. It changes the entire mood than if it were it's natural colors of greys, white, and browns. I also love how this picture incorporates the reflection in the water. That's always one of my favorite elements of any picture.
So, I am now going to use this picture as inspiration to write a poem. Here goes:

I looked for you today.
In the trees, by the water, in the snow.
I listened and smelled and felt and saw.
And when I let my mind go quiet and still,
I knew I wouldn't need to look far.
For you were everywhere I looked and saw beauty,
Everything I heard that was peaceful,
Everything I smelled that brought pleasure,
Everything I felt that was love.

No comments: