4/24/09

Decorating Delight




Decorating my home (and there have been many!!!) has always been important to me. I love to decorate, as do my three sisters, and my mother. I'm sure we all get it from Mama but, we all have different styles and tastes when it comes to decorating our homes. I've always wondered why we all do that. Obviously, our home environment is important to us; not only by the way it looks but, how it makes us feel.

When I decorate, it's a reflection of many things. Obviously my taste, which has changed many times over the years. Since I like several different styles, I have a mixture of them in my home. I also include items that have been given to me, either by family members, friends, or former students. These fixtures have become special to me and bring comfort and familiarity to my space, especially if I have just moved. Finally, I feel that my decorating is a reflection of my need to feel "at home." To feel safe. To have reminders that show where I've been, what I've seen, and how I've aged! Some of my decor has been with me for over 20 years!

Whatever the reasons that have made my family and me avid decorators of our homes, I do know that it brings us feelings of security, sentimentality, and even pride. I think we've all received positive reactions from others regarding our decorating and we enjoy that. I love it when my house is clean and orderly -- which is when the decor really shows -- and I can entertain guests and family. My husband could care less, but I relish in this stuff!

None of us (sisters) ever splurge on a manicure or designer clothes but, we don't think twice about dishing out 7$ on a decorating magazine. If we all were to walk into our Mother's home and spot a Country Living magazine, we would probably all scamper to see it first! There's nothing like flipping through all of those pages of colors, furniture, flowers, and how others have decorated.

I still think I need to assess and analyze this a little more. There must be some deep-seeded reasons for why we all "live" to decorate our homes. May it be Freudian, OCD, or some oddly rooted passion; I feel that the reason will definitely define us in some unique way......a way that only an Ayers girl could understand.

No comments: